Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Dancing with the glowings

During Halloween this year, the Monterey contra dancers put on a spectacular weekend of dance to completely fantastic music. (The bands were Riptide, Barefoot, and Celtic Spring + Larry Unger, for the research-inclined.) I danced and danced and danced some more, with new friends and old. The musicians, too, included new friends and old. So in all, an active, celebratory, very social time.

Yoga. Helped me recover during breaks. Good breathing and healthy joints for dancing. And -- I remembered the glow.

I didn't literally see the glow. But I remembered the feeling of the glow that can happen during an inward āsana practice or an absorbed sitting session. The glow that encompasses the spine and the crown of the head.

So in the midst of the raucous fiddle and mandolin and guitar and drum, whoops and hollers of enthusiasm, dancing together with 150 folks, I remembered the glow. From both outward appearance and fact, I was dancing with friends. The inward view from here: sometimes I was dancing with twirling and sashaying and turning embodied glowings.

Sometimes this yoga stuff will surprise a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment